Girl was bitten while visiting relatives’ home
Four-year-old Kara Lambros was visiting her relatives at their home in Independence in January 2008. Her aunt and uncle owned a Labrador retriever, which remained kenneled in their home because the dog had bitten a neighorhood boy’s arm about size months earlier, according to the plaintiff. During Kara’s visit, one of the children of defendants Gabe and Tracy Smither let the dog out of its kennel, and the animal attacked Kara and bit her in the face. She needed emergency treatment and stitches.
More than three years later, Kara still has a scar on her cheek and under her chin. The scars are sometimes visible, said her attorney, Nick A. Cutrera. Makeup can conceal the scars, and they should diminish as Kara gets older, he said. The child underwent laser surgery in October 2009. Jennifer Rose, the defendants’ attorney, said a dermatologist argued that Kara is now at increase risk for skin cancer and at risk of injury or tearing to the scar area. Kara’s past medical costs are $7,607, her attorney said. If she decides to undergo surgery again, the cost could exceed $5,000. Rose said the settlement amount wasn’t surprising.
“I thought it was a fair settlement because it was a little girl that had some scarring to her face, and they claimed they needed future surgery,”
Cutrera said he was pleased with the outcome. “Kara has made a wonderful recovery, and her scars have healed extremely well,” he said. “The defendants’ clear liability warrants the settlement.
$110,000 Personal Injury Settlement
- DOG BITE
- Court: Jackson County Circuit Court at Independence
- Case number/Date: 0816-CV20699/Feb. 23, 2011
- Judge: Robert Schiber
- Special damages: $7,607 for past medical costs
- Insurer: American Family Insurance
- Caption: Kara Lambros by her Next Friend Kristy Lambros v. Gabe and Tracy Smither
- Plaintiff’s attorneys: Nick A. Cutrera, Cutrera Law Firm, Lee’s Summit
- Defendants’ attorney: Jennifer Rose, American Family Insurance, Kansas City
- SEARCH ONLINE AT HTTP://VERDICTS.MOLAWYERSMEDIA.COM